Monday, April 22, 2013

We have CHICKENS!!!!

We decided to embark on a new adventure.  We got some baby chicks.  We got them a couple of weeks before Easter and they are pretty big now.  We have 6 and we still don't know if we have roosters or hens.  We got them for eggs right now but we might eventually try to hatch our own chicks.  We thought it would be a good learning experience for the boys and we would get some food out of the deal.  I never would have thought growing up in the city that I would have chickens someday but I am actually enjoying them.  They are pretty self sufficient. We give them food and water once every 10-12 days and change the shavings less often.  They definitely require a lot less than the dog.

I took these a few days after we got them.


 D's liked to pick them up and try to rub their bellies.  While they didn't really like it, they tolerated it.  They are way too big for that now.





I took these 10 days after the first ones.  They grow and change really fast.  They are really pretty ugly when they are between fuzz and feathers.  They really pretty now though.



This is G helping me get the coop ready for the chickens.
 You can tell he was very helpful undoing everything.

 They seemed to like their new home. These were a couple of weeks ago.  I need to take new pictures so you can see how pretty they look now.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How your chicks are growing! Your comments are so interesting, Sweetie. We'll be excited to see how many hens you have, and when you get your first egg. I don't know how old hens need to be to lay. I oughta' look that up. :) Hope everyone's week is going well. Love you all, Grandma